What Every College Graduate Needs to Know About Success
It’s that time of year where my e-mail is ablaze with 20-somethings looking for solid advice on starting out in their careers and ultimately life.
With each new crop of graduates, I get to test out some of my favorite life principals and thankfully they are withstanding the test of time.
Graduates today are different then they were 15 years ago when I graduated with my Master’s Degree in Industrial Organizational Psychology. Sometimes I go back as a guest speaker and my mind is blown – all the students have laptops in front of them. Where did all the notebooks and pens go?
I realize I am dating myself but the perk of not being a 20-something is the exponential wisdom that comes with age.
Another thing that has changed – these college graduates are far more savvy than when I graduated. They have access to information and knowledge that I couldn’t get my hands on. The most savvy of the students have “elevator pitches” rivaling the most polished and elite corporate crusaders.
But I don’t let their broader access to information and well rehearsed elevator pitches fool me. One thing remains the same year after year.
They are terrified and have no idea how to start applying all their book smarts.
What every college graduate needs to know is school experience doesn’t equate to life experience. If you embrace that, you will go far. You will still make mistakes and step on toes. Your egos will still get a good thrashing but knowing what you don’t know will keep you grounded (enough).
When I get “the call” or more typically “the e-mail”, I take it. I take the time to get on the phone or meet the 20-something because their willingness to reach out demonstrates initiative. In my book, initiative should always be rewarded as it is essential for future success.
What every college graduate needs to know is success is an equation. Effort + Initiative + Great Attitude = Success.
Here are 24 other things every college graduate needs to know about success:
1. Fear is a four letter word. The best thing you can do is learn how to operate in spite of fear.
2. Operating in the in spite of fear may require you to “fake it until you can make it.”
3. Success is something you define for yourself. Other people’s definitions of success have no bearing on you.
4. Somewhere deep inside of you are all the answers you need to make the most critical life decisions. Learn how to trust your gut.
5. At some point you will experience a life crisis. You will survive it. Learn from it and move on.
6. Be of service to others. Wake up every day and ask yourself “How can I be of service today?”
7. Develop a gratitude mindset. Find three things everyday to be grateful for.
8. Be the best team player you can be. Replace the word “I” with “We” except for when taking accountability.
9. When taking accountability, it is about you. Stand up and take responsibility even if it wasn’t your direct fault. Fix it and own the solution.
10. Accountability gets promoted.
11. Learn how to be comfortable in discomfort – this is where growth happens.
12. Have a vision for yourself and your life.
13. Without vision there is no purpose.
14. Without purpose there is no plan.
15. Without a plan there is no action.
16. Be a person of action. Be a doer.
17. Learn how to build relationships and understand their reciprical nature. Hint: It’s about learning how to support others in their goals.
18. Be a skilled communicator. Understand the process and how to deliver a message.
19. Guard your words because they are more powerful than you could ever imagine.
20. Learn how to embrace change and make friends with uncertainty.
21. Integrity is what you do when no one is watching.
22. Show up! Yes, sounds easy but some people struggle with this.
23. Physically show up but make sure you are truly present in every action you take. Mindfulness and intention matter.
24. Never stop learning.
25. It has taken me a while to figure this last one out – Life is a journey, there really isn’t a destination.
Do you know a 20-something or a recent college grad? Make their day a little brighter and send them this advice!
Fill in the blank: What every college graduate needs to know about success is______________.