I know you were expecting a meal plan today but it is the first week of school for us! Anything goes this week (within reason). When I wrote 7 Practical Solutions for Back to School Problems for Michelle of A Dish of Daily Life, I suggested freezer meals or crockpot meals for back to school. Confession – I rarely do either of those things. I am far more likely to wing it or eat leftovers or make some eggs. While I am more comfortable with a plan, on my busiest weeks I like to remain flexible and practice non-judgement of myself.
Knowing full well we are winging it this week, we prepared accordingly when we went grocery shopping. We do all our grocery shopping at Trader Joe’s and the local farmer’s market. Here are some of the items that made it into my grocery cart:
- Coconut Cream – it’s a staple in our house. A good source of healthy fats, coconut cream finds it’s way into our smoothies, breakfasts, treats, and soups. Smoothie for dinner anyone?
- Organic Jasmine Rice (frozen) – This is a microwaveable bag that is ready in 3 minutes. Great for throwing together a quick bowl. Rice, vegetable, protein, and your favorite sauce or dressing.
- Plenty of veggies including bagged spinach – It takes seconds to water sautee up a bag of spinach. Add it to your bowl or put it on top of some chicken.
- Pre-cooked beets – I love me some beets but they can be a pain to make sometimes. For lunch yesterday I sauteed up some spinach, chopped up these beets, tossed in some Lemon Pepper Chicken (see #5) added Goddess Dressing (#6) and hot sauce. BOOM!
- Lemon Pepper Chicken – this is pre-cooked and marinated. So easy to dice up and throw in a salad.
- Goddess Dressing – this is our “go to” way to add quick flavor (and sriaracha).
- Almond Butter – I MUCH prefer peanut butter BUT Trader Joe’s makes some of the best almond butter out there. We will probably throw some of this on top of a sweet potato and call it dinner one night. Maybe a drizzle of honey and some hemp seeds on top.
- Spanakopita (frozen) – this one is for The A Team. It’s one of the only ways I can get them to eat spinach so I will take it where I can get it!
- Gluten Free Breaded Chicken Breast Nuggets – another one for The A Team but really, who doesn’t like a good chicken nugget? These are a new item so if you haven’t seen them yet, ask when they will be in your store.
You can check out my Pinterest Boards for Meal Plan Inspiration any time!
Follow Family Sport Life – Tara Newman’s board eat real food – main meals on Pinterest.
What does your grocery list look like when you “wing it?”
PS. Don’t forget to sign up for our weekly newsletter! Exclusive content goes out weekly.